Safety Boy Operating Instructions
"Safety Boy" flange spreadING tools
1. Remove one flange bolt and securely anchor Safety Boy Tool.
2. Loosen remaining bolts. Remove bolts necessary to service flanges.
3. Apply pressure to ratchet handle to force circular cam wedge between flanges to make flange separation.
This Flange Spreading Tool has been designed to do the work of spreading pipe flanges quickly, easily and safely.
In order to prove the simplicity and ease of application of this tool to pipe flanges, time studies have been conducted with individuals, some of whom were completely unfamiliar with piping. These studies have shown that, after a flange bolt has been removed, this tool can be positioned ready to spread flanges in less than one minute.
Experienced men will appreciate the "Safety Boy" pipe flange spreader since its use eliminates many hazards normally associated with the task of spreading flanges.
1. Decide where to locate spreader tool on flange, then completely remove one flange bolt.
2. Straddle side plates over flanges, aligning holes in the side plates with the two flange bolt holes.
3. TO SECURELY ANCHOR TOOL TO FLANGE -
MODEL 101: Insert long pin through aligned holes. (For the smaller flanges, the stub pins have been provided.)
MODELS 102, 103, 104: Insert stub pins through aligned holes.
4. Ease circular cam wedge into small opening between flanges.
5. Loosen all flange bolts. Remove bolts necessary to service flange.
6. Apply ratchet handle to driving square to force circular cam wedge between flanges and spread for servicing. (Note: Observe safety precautions as to blowout when breaking a flange.)
7. Some cases might require ratchets on both driving squares applied together if more force is required to spread flange.
8. If cam wedge is only partly engaged, place a safety spacer between flanges to prevent their snapping closed.
9. Larger diameter flanges may require application of two pipe flange spreader tools.